Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – January 12th, 2021
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 90,995,195 (22,619,353 in United States)
Total Deaths: 1,947,748 (376,283 in United States)
- At least 72 cases of a variant first identified in the UK have been found in 10 US states, according to the CDC. This does not represent the total number of cases circulating in the US, but rather just those found by analyzing positive samples.
- President-elect Joe Biden has received the second dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech Covid-19 vaccine.
- California’s Disneyland resort in Anaheim and Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles will soon be transformed into mass coronavirus vaccination sites for southern California residents.
- Biotechnology company Moderna believes its vaccine should protect people against Covid-19 for at least a year. The company will test to see if adding a third dose, a boost, might extend protection
- New York City will open its third 24/7 vaccination site at the health department in Lower Manhattan. Other sites in Brooklyn and the Bronx and are set to vaccinate up to 2,000 people a day.
- Nearly 9 million people have received a first dose of vaccine against coronavirus in the United States; nearly 25.5 million doses of vaccine have been distributed, according to the CDC.
- New Zealand announced that all travelers, apart from those from Australia and Antarctica, will be required to take a Covid-19 test upon arrival. Additionally, travelers from the US and UK, must have a negative Covid-19 test result 72 hours prior to departure.
- South Africa has extended its coronavirus restrictions, citing a “massive increase” in Covid-19 cases driven by a variant discovered there. Restrictions will be reassessed when the current peak of infections eases.
- Germany strengthened its Covid-19 restrictions amid a winter surge, which include longer school closures and travel limits. These measures will last until at least January 31.
- Portugal’s President has tested positive for coronavirus, is asymptomatic and currently self-isolating.
- The King of Malaysia has declared a state of emergency until August 1 to contain a rise in Covid-19 infections.
- In light of the new Covid-19 strain thought to be considerably more contagious, all non-essential travel should be reconsidered.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- You can download Interfor’s return to work guidelines here.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.
- CDC Symptoms page
- See Interfor’s new blog posts about the ramping of security in the wake of the Russia hack and cybersecurity threats to expect in 2021.