Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – January 5th, 2021
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 85,827,486 (20,824,710 in United States)
Total Deaths: 1,856,288 (353,632 in United States)
- The United States reported 128,210 Covid-19 hospitalizations on Monday, setting a new record high since the pandemic began. This is the 34th consecutive day the US has remained above 100,000 current hospitalizations.
- Six cases of the more transmissible coronavirus variant first seen in the UK have now been confirmed in Southern California. One case has been confirmed in upstate New York.
- New York’s Governor Cuomo is threatening harsh penalties for hospitals failing to use all remaining vaccine doses this week. Hospitals can be fined up to $100,000 for failing to distribute existing supplies or administer doses within seven days once they receive new shipments.
- Ambulance crews in Los Angeles County were told to ration the use of oxygen due to widespread shortages at hospitals. Ambulances have been directed not to bring patients to the hospital if they effectively have no chance of survival.
- New York City plans to vaccinate all first responders, educators, and school staff in the next few weeks of January. The mayor announced two new pop-up clinics, five new hospital vaccination sites and three new vaccine hubs to increase capacity.
- Fewer than 30% of the 15.4 million Covid-19 vaccine doses distributed in the US have been administered, according to data from the CDC. Only four states have administered at least half of the vaccine doses distributed to them — South Dakota, North Dakota, Tennessee, and Connecticut.
- Prime Minister Johnson announced a national lockdown for the UK to slow down the surge of Covid-19 cases. The lockdown is expected to remain in place at least through the middle of February.
- Mexico’s drug administration has approved the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine for emergency use, the second vaccine approved in the country, following Pfizer’s.
- France will select 30 French citizens at random to represent concerns of the public and advise the country’s government on its vaccination strategy.
- Italy will extend most of the coronavirus restrictions imposed during the Christmas holidays until January 15.
- Thailand reported its largest daily increase in new Covid-19 cases since the beginning of the pandemic, with 745 cases. The country has extended its nationwide emergency decree until the end of February.
- In light of the new Covid-19 strain thought to be considerably more contagious, all non-essential travel should be reconsidered.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- You can download Interfor’s return to work guidelines here.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.