Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – July 17, 2020
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 13,983,595 (3,697,318 in United States)
Total Deaths: 593,483(141,143 in United States)
- The United States posted a record number of new coronavirus cases in one day with 76,500 on Thursday.
- Governor Brian Kemp of Georgia announced he was suspending all local mask mandates. He filed a lawsuit challenging the authority of leaders in Atlanta to require masks in the city.
- The CDC has extended its ban on cruise ships from US ports until September 30, citing ongoing coronavirus outbreaks on ships.
- The Arizona Department of Health Services will bring in nearly 600 critical care and medical-surgical nurses from out of state to help in hospitals
- New York’s Governor Cuomo said the state will start enforcing a “three strikes and you’re closed” policy for New York City restaurants and bars that serve alcohol and fail to comply with social distancing regulations.
- South Carolina reported its highest Covid-19-related deaths in a single day with 69 confirmed and three probable.
- Los Angeles reported 4,592 new Covid-19 cases today, the largest single-day increase since the start of the pandemic.
- Miami’s mayor said hospitals in the city have reached 95% capacity due to the growing Covid-19 cases.
- Oklahoma Governor Kevin Stitt tested positive for coronavirus. He remains opposed to mask requirements.
- The Australian state of Victoria suffered its worst day since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, with 317 new cases reported in a 24-hour period.
- Spain recorded 580 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, the highest number since May 10.
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to announce more than £3 billion in additional funding for the country’s National Health Service, ahead of a feared second wave of coronavirus.
- France’s Prime Minister said it will be mandatory to wear masks in indoor public places starting next week.
- Israel has re-imposed lockdown measures following a second surge in coronavirus cases. Restaurants will return to pick up and delivery only, and shops and gyms will be closed.
- India resumed international flights into the country, despite recording more than 1 million coronavirus cases and imposing local lockdowns in multiple states.
- Lockdown and social distancing restrictions are being re-implemented around the world. Be sure to stay informed about guidelines in your area.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.