Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – July 21, 2020
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 14,883,578 (3,962,380 in United States)
Total Deaths: 614,019(143,872 in United States)
- Kentucky recorded it largest single-day total with 979 new Covid-19 cases.
- Arkansas issued a face covering mandate for all indoor and outdoor environments where residents are exposed to non-household members and social distancing is not possible.
- American tourists have officially been banned from the Bahamas.
- West Virginia’s governor reported multiple Covid-19 outbreaks in seven churches across seven counties with a total of 75 cases. He warned “please know that a church setting is the ideal setting to spread this virus.”
- The Baltimore Police Department has temporarily suspended in-service training after four trainees and two staff members tested positive for Covid-19.
- New York’s Governor Cuomo traveled to Savannah, Georgia to meet with the mayor and his team, share New York’s expertise, help them with testing and tracing programs, and transport items of personal protective equipment.
- New York City has entered phase four of reopening, but unlike other parts of the state, indoor dining is not allowed and museums will remain closed.
- Health officials in Los Angeles reported the highest number of hospitalizations in a day with 2,216 people hospitalized.
- The leaders of the European Union agreed on a landmark 750 million-euro deal to fund the coronavirus recovery. The package will assist countries hit hardest by the virus and comes alongside an agreement on the EU’s overall budget of 1.82 trillion euros.
- China is now requiring that people flying into the country provide proof that they tested negative within five days of their flight. Foreign travelers will need to apply for a health certificate from the Chinese embassy in the country of origin.
- Argentina reported its highest single-day coronavirus death toll to date, with 92 fatalities. It comes as the country launched a partial re-opening in the city of Buenos Aires, where over 90% of the reported cases are located.
- Venezuela has re-imposed lockdown measures as the country reported 20% of its total number of coronavirus infections, 2,426 cases, in just the past week.
- The Dominican Republic’s President declared a state of emergency in the country for the next 45 days due to “the concerning increase” of Covid-19 cases.
- France’s Health Minister warns that the circulation of coronavirus in the country is “increasing,” with at least 400 active clusters reported across the country.
- Lockdown and social distancing restrictions are being re-implemented around the world. Be sure to stay informed about guidelines in your area.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- CallerSmart has a useful guide to spotting coronavirus phone scams.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.