Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – July 28, 2020
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 16,687,254 (4,434,135 in United States)
Total Deaths: 657,451(150,500 in United States)
- National Security Advisor Robert O’Brien has tested positive for coronavirus and is currently self-isolating.
- Drug giant Pfizer and its partner BioNTech announced they have FDA approval to start an advanced trial of their experimental coronavirus vaccine in US volunteers. The late-stage study will include up to 30,000 participants.
- New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio called for courts to reopen across the city, saying coronavirus has allowed an uptick in crimes and it is time to restart the justice system.
- San Diego issued an executive order allowing local gyms, churches, and salons to expand their businesses outdoors into private parking lots to help keep people employed.
- New York’s Governor Cuomo said the state has issued 132 violations to bars and restaurants for not following coronavirus regulations. Lack of compliance with social distancing policies, particularly among young people, is a concern his administration is watching closely.
- California leads the country with the highest number of total infections, more than 452,280, followed by Florida, New York and Texas. At least 36 counties are on California’s watch list and have been ordered to close indoor operations.
- Germany will require a mandatory free-of-charge coronavirus test for travelers returning from high-risk areas starting August 3.
- Brazil’s President Jair Bolsonaro returned to work after testing negative for Covid-19 on Saturday, more than two weeks after he tested positive for the virus on July 7.
- China reported its highest number of Covid-19 cases since early March for the second day in a row with 68 and 57 cases, respectively.
- Hong Kong authorities announced that masks will be mandatory in all indoor and outdoor public spaces starting August 4, as the city struggles to contain its third wave of Covid-19 infections. Failure to comply will result in a fine up to HKD 5,000 ($645).
- Around 80,000 tourists in the Vietnamese city of Da Nang will be evacuated after three residents have tested positive for Covid-19.
- The UK government unexpectedly announced that all people returning from Spain would be required to self-isolate for two weeks, reversing its previous stance. The reversal follows a rise in the number of Covid-19 cases in Spain.
- Lockdown and social distancing restrictions are being re-implemented around the world. Be sure to stay informed about guidelines in your area.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- CallerSmart has a useful guide to spotting coronavirus phone scams.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.