Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – July 31, 2020
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 17,514,334 (4,635,309 in United States)
Total Deaths: 677,552(155,311 in United States)
- The US economy contracted by 32.9% between April and June, its worst drop on record, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Louisiana reported the highest number of Covid-19 cases per capita in the nation, more than Arizona, Florida and New York.
- Florida reported a record number of coronavirus related deaths for the third day in a row with 253 additional deaths.
- Former presidential candidate Herman Cain died from coronavirus weeks after attending political rallies without wearing a mask.
- Wisconsin’s governor issued an order mandating face coverings in all indoor public spaces through the end of September.
- Missouri reported its largest daily increase of Covid-19 cases since the pandemic began, with 2,084 new infections.
- The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) confirmed 153 cases of the coronavirus among its campus community.
- Europe’s economy shrank by 11.9% in the second quarter as the coronavirus pandemic plunged the region into a deep recession. The quarter-on-quarter fall in EU GDP is the worst on record.
- Around the world, fresh outbreaks are frequently attributed to young people who appear to feel less vulnerable and therefore disregard safety guidelines, bringing the virus home to their families.
- Norway’s Foreign Ministry said the country will reimpose a 10-day quarantine requirement for travelers arriving from Belgium after a rise in Covid-19 cases.
- Brazil’s first lady Michelle Bolsonaro has tested positive for Covid-19, days after her husband said he had recovered from the disease.
- The Australian state of Victoria recorded 723 new Covid-19 cases, setting a new daily high for the state and the whole country.
- Libya’s UN-recognized government in Tripoli announced it will impose a full lockdown for five days starting on Friday, in areas of the country it controls, as a response to a rise in Covid-19 cases.
- Japan recorded 1,264 new coronavirus cases, the largest single-day increase since the pandemic began.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- CallerSmart has a useful guide to spotting coronavirus phone scams.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.