Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – June 30, 2020
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 10,436,954 (2,683,301 in United States)
Total Deaths: 508,876(128,819 in United States)
- Arizona’s governor announced an executive order to rollback the state’s reopening and close bars, gyms, movie theaters and water parks for at least 30 days amid a “brutal” increase in coronavirus cases.
- Rhode Island announced a mandatory 14-day quarantine for people coming from a state with a 5% or greater infection rate. Additionally, the state extended the executive order on mandatory face coverings until August 3.
- New Jersey’s Governor Murphy announced the state will postpone indoor dining indefinitely to safeguard public health, saying that establishments across the state are not following proper safety measures.
- Oregon has expanded mandatory face coverings in indoor public spaces from eight counties to statewide starting July 1.
- Nevada paused the state’s reopening, announcing it will remain in phase two due to an increase in coronavirus cases.
- Broadway performances in New York City will be suspended through the rest of the year due to Covid-19.
- Australia’s Victoria state reintroduced lockdown measures on 10 suburbs around Melbourne following a recent spike in coronavirus cases. A stay-at-home order will be in effect until July 29.
- Greece is extending its ban on direct flights from the UK and Sweden until July 15 as the country plans to open up travel starting July 1.
- India recorded its biggest one-day jump in new coronavirus cases for the eighth consecutive day, with 19,459 new cases. India has had more than 100,000 new Covid-19 infections in the past six days.
- Singapore is distributing a digital contact tracing device aimed at vulnerable seniors who are not digitally connected and do not use smartphones but are at higher risk from the coronavirus.
- Japan recorded 112 new coronavirus cases, the highest single-day increase since the country lifted its state of emergency on May 25.
- The UK Health Secretary said there is an unusually “high incidence” of coronavirus cases among children in Leicester, the first UK city under a localized lockdown. He added that the city’s infection rate is three times higher than the next highest local area.
- As lockdowns ease around the world, Interfor recommends becoming well acquainted with national and local directives, and continues to urge the observance of social distancing measures where possible. In the US, although many states are proceeding with plans to reopen, there is clear evidence cases are rising.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.