Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates -May 25,2021
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 167,391,920(33,144,178 in United States)
Total Deaths: 3,475,611 (590,697 in United States)
Full Vaccinations Administered: 395 million, globally (United States: 131M – 39.8% of population)
- At least 25 states plus Washington, DC have now fully vaccinated at least half of their adults, according to data published by the CDC.
- Dr. Anthony Fauci says expects Covid-19 vaccinations to be open to younger children in the coming months. Children as young as four would likely be able to get vaccinated by the end of 2021 or early 2022.
- Moderna said its Covid-19 vaccine is 100% effective in a study of adolescents ages 12-17. The company said it plans to ask the FDA to extend the emergency use of its Covid-19 vaccine for teens early next month. It is the second vaccine behind Pfizer to demonstrate high efficacy among younger age groups.
- On Monday, Massachusetts began bringing vaccines to homes, rather than making people travel to a vaccination site. The program is open to “any individual who has trouble getting to a vaccine site.”
- New York City mayor Bill de Blasio announced that schools will return to fully in-person learning with no remote option in September.
- The Los Angeles Unified School District will fully reopen school campuses for in-person learning five days a week in the fall. Safety precautions including masks are still expected to be required for staff and students until more children have been vaccinated.
- The European Union will soon allow travelers from more countries to visit the bloc if they’ve been vaccinated with an approved vaccine. The new policy is expected to allow EU member states to admit travelers from the US and other countries, although the EU has yet to clarify to which countries the policy applies.
- Spain announced that British and Japanese tourists will be allowed to visit the county without needing to get tested for Covid-19 or stay in quarantine.
- A 60 second breath test for coronavirus has won provisional authorization in Singapore. The test was developed by Singapore based Breathonix, and is intended for use in clinical settings, hospitals, and by trained personnel.
- Taiwan has extended its second highest Covid-19 alert level for three more weeks until June 14, as the island battles its biggest coronavirus outbreak since the start of the pandemic.
- India reported 196,427 new cases of Covid-19, the lowest single-day rise in cases since April 14. India also reported 3,511 fatalities, the lowest single-day death toll since May 4. On Monday, India became the third country to top 300,000 deaths from the virus, after Brazil and the United States.
- CDC Symptoms page
- See Interfor’s new blog post about some of the challenges facing Cybersecurity teams.