Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – October 27
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 43,838,974 (8,964,931 in United States)
Total Deaths: 1,166,174(231,129 in United States)
- The mayor of Newark, the largest city in New Jersey, has ordered all nonessential businesses to close by 8 p.m. starting today, as the city experiences a second wave of Covid-19 infections.
- According to a new report from the CDC, nearly 6% of all hospitalized patients with Covid-19 work in health care and most in that group were nurses. More than 4% of health care workers who were hospitalized died.
- The National Institutes of Health has stopped Eli Lilly’s trial of a monoclonal antibody tested in hospitalized patients with advanced Covid-19, deciding it was unlikely to help. A trial in patients with mild or moderate stage of disease will continue.
- A judge in El Paso, Texas issued a countywide mandatory curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. following a surge in Covid-19 cases. The order expires on November 8.
- China rolled out mass coronavirus testing for nearly 5 million people and imposed lockdown measures in the prefecture of Kashgar in the region of Xinjiang, after a single asymptomatic coronavirus case was reported.
- Czech Republic announced a ban on free movement in the country between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. starting tomorrow, in an effort to curb its coronavirus surge.
- Russia has introduced a nationwide mask mandate as daily increases in Covid-19 cases remain high. Citizens must wear masks in public spaces, public transport, parking lots and elevators.
- Australia’s Victoria state reported no new Covid-19 infections in the past 24 hours for the second consecutive day. The steep decline in cases allowed the government to lift major social distancing measures, including moving Melbourne out of lockdown.
- Portugal passed a temporary law requiring face masks in outdoor public spaces. Those who fail to comply could be fined up to €500. The law will be in place 70 days.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- You can download Interfor’s return to work guidelines here.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.
- CDC Symptoms page
- See Interfor’s new blog post about protecting your leadership and VIPs during this era.