Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – October 9
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 36,812,848 (7,835,868 in United States)
Total Deaths: 1,067,610(217,785 in United States)
- Wisconsin is opening a field hospital at the state fair park in response to an alarming surge in covid-19 hospitalizations that is overwhelming hospitals. Additionally, the Governor has issued an emergency order limiting public gatherings to no more than 25% of a room or building’s capacity.
- The biotechnology company Regeneron has applied for emergency use authorization from the FDA for its experimental monoclonal antibody therapy. The treatment is still in large-scale clinical trials, but has been available for compassionate use, something the FDA must approve on an individual basis.
- A total of 169 public schools are now closed in areas where there are clusters of covid-19 cases in New York City. Additionally, there are 308 school sites that will begin mandatory weekly testing starting today.
- New Jersey has reported 1,301 new cases of covid-19, the highest number since May. The state’s positivity rate is now at 3.69%.
- A forecast published by the CDC now projects there will be 224,000 to 233,000 coronavirus deaths in the United States by October 31. Unlike some individual models, the CDC’s ensemble forecast only offers projections a few weeks into the future.
- Russia reported 12,126 new cases of covid-19, the highest daily increase recorded since the beginning of the pandemic.
- Canada’s national daily case counts continue to increase steeply with an average of 2,000 new cases every day for the past week. Government statistics indicate that is a 40% rise in the past week alone. Health officials are warning people to stay home as much as possible, saying the next few weeks will be “critical” to the country’s efforts to contain the virus.
- The Czech Republic announced new restrictions amid a spike in covid-19 cases. Restaurants and bars will close at 8 pm and tables can seat no more than four people. Pools, gyms and cinemas must close. All nonessential visits to hospitals and care homes are banned.
- China has joined the COVAX initiative led by the World Health Organization, which aims to provide worldwide access to effective covid-19 vaccines. Through the COVAX facility coordinated by Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, more than 75 ‘high-income’ countries have committed funding to provide part of the cost for procuring the vaccine for poorer nations.
- The world recorded its highest number of daily covid-19 cases since the pandemic began, with 338,779 cases globally. A second wave of the virus in Europe is leading the surge. As a region, Europe is now reporting more daily infections than the United States, Brazil, and India – the countries that have been driving the global case count for months.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- You can download Interfor’s return to work guidelines here.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.