Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – September 1
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 24,671,531 (6,212,708 in United States)
Total Deaths: 855,645 (187,792 in United States)
- Mississippi extended its Covid-19 mitigation orders ahead of Labor Day, urging social distancing and mask wearing. The extended restrictions have one change: spectators at school sports and extracurricular events are increased to 25% capacity.
- California’s Governor Newsom signed a bill protecting tenants from eviction and property owners from foreclosure due to the economic impacts of Covid-19.
- The State University of New York (SUNY) Oneonta suspended in-person instruction for two weeks after a coronavirus cluster developed. New York’s Governor Cuomo deployed a special team of 71 contact tracers and 8 case investigators to address the outbreak.
- Georgia extended the statewide limits on public gatherings for another two weeks. The order continues to ban public gatherings of 50 or more unless they can maintain social distancing. Also extended was the state’s general state of emergency, through October 10.
- Connecticut’s governor extended the state’s Covid-19 emergency orders until February 9, 2021. The extension ensures that the state can use emergency powers to quickly respond to outbreaks, safely reopen the economy, and procure personal protective equipment.
- West Virginia is reporting 138 Covid-19 cases at the Mount Olive Correctional Complex. The facility is quarantined and is medically isolating inmates.
- France is reopening schools for the first time since March, with masks mandatory for students age 11 and older.
- Russian Covid-19 cases surpassed the 1 million mark after the country’s coronavirus crisis center reported 4,729 new infections. Russia joins the United States, Brazil, and India as the only four countries to report cases in seven figures.
- British drug maker AstraZeneca has started Phase 3 trials of its experimental coronavirus vaccine in the United States, becoming the third company to start late-stage trials of a Covid-19 vaccine.
- India is entering a new phase of reopening that will see subway trains running for the first time in months, despite skyrocketing daily coronavirus infections. The country reported more than 75,000 infections for five consecutive days, the fastest growing caseload of any country in the world.
- At least seven passengers on a plane from Zante, Greece to Cardiff, Wales tested positive for coronavirus after catching it from three infectious people on the flight. All 193 passengers and crew have been ordered to self-isolate.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- You can download Interfor’s return to work guidelines here.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.