Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – September 11
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 28,369,707 (6,589,020 in United States)
Total Deaths: 914,512(196,345 in United States)
- The CDC had changed the way it is reporting death rates for coronavirus and will now report the infection fatality ratio by age. According to the updated “best estimate” numbers Covid-19 death rate is under 1% for everyone but people over 70 which is 5.4%.
- US Surgeon General announced that the US Department of Health and Human Services will be issuing guidance to expand access to safe and effective coronavirus vaccines. When vaccines are made available, state-licensed pharmacists will now be able to administer them to anyone age 3 and older.
- Florida is rescinding an amended executive order, issued on June 26, which shut down bars amid rising Covid-19 cases in the state. Bars will be able to reopen at 50% occupancy starting Monday.
- New York’s governor Cuomo announced that indoor dining in New York City can resume on September 30. Restaurants must operate at 25% capacity and follow strict restrictions, including temperature-checking guests at the door and no bar service. NYC will also begin to enforce a mask mandate on public transit, with police officers immediately ticketing offenders.
- Michigan’s governor signed an executive order clarifying face covering requirements for organized sports. Athletes must wear a face covering during training, practices, and competitions if a distance of six feet cannot be maintained.
- The Russian Direct Investment Fund and Brazil’s state of Bahia have signed an agreement to supply up to 50 million doses of the Russian vaccine Sputnik-V. Deliveries are expected in November 2020 and are subject to approval by Brazil’s regulators.
- France has reported 9,843 new coronavirus infections in the past 24 hours, the largest daily increase since the pandemic began.
- India reported a new record daily increase with 96,551 Covid-19 cases. This is the second day in a row India has reported the highest number of new cases in one day by a single country.
- The Czech Republic is now requiring people to wear masks indoors, citing the “worsening epidemiological situation” in the country.
- The Netherlands has recorded the highest number of new Covid-19 infections since April 10, with 1,140 new cases.
- British drug company AstraZeneca has paused a trial of its coronavirus vaccine because of an unexplained illness in one of the volunteers. It is a standard precaution in vaccine trials, meant to ensure experimental vaccines do not cause serious reactions among volunteers.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- You can download Interfor’s return to work guidelines here.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.