Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – September 25
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 32,463,156 (7,187,179 in United States)
Total Deaths: 988,550(207,555 in United States)
- Google Maps will soon show how prevalent coronavirus is in geographic areas with a new color-coded update. The app will display seven-day averages of new Covid-19 cases per 100,000 people and chosen areas will show if cases are increasing or decreasing.
- New York City is considering a shutdown of non-essential businesses in Brooklyn and Queens neighborhoods that have seen a spike in cases in the past month. Additionally, the city will send inspectors to monitor compliance of mask wearing and social distancing and fines could be issued to violators.
- United Airlines is the first US airline to offer coronavirus testing to passengers using a rapid, 15-minute test from Abbott Labs, starting October 15. Testing is for Hawaii-bound passengers from San Francisco to help them avoid an otherwise mandatory 14-day quarantine.
- Johnson & Johnson’s Covid-19 vaccine candidate began Phase 3 trials in US. Trials for the single-dose vaccine will include up to 60,000 adult participants at nearly 215 sites in the US and internationally.
- California is the first state to surpass 800,000 cases of Covid-19, the largest case figure in a single state, followed by Texas (747,366) and Florida (693,040).
- The French government has ordered all bars and restaurants in the city of Marseilles to close starting Monday, placing the city under a state of “maximum alert” following a surge in new coronavirus cases. Additional cities have been declared “Enhanced Alert Zones” and will face new restrictions, including a limit of 10 people for gatherings and a 10 p.m. curfew for bars.
- Israel reported 7,755 new coronavirus cases, a new record daily high. The new figures come just as the country is set to significantly tighten restrictions during its second general lockdown, which takes effect today.
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro signed a provisional decree for Brazil to join a global effort to develop and distribute Covid-19 vaccines led by the World Health Organization. Bolsonaro also pledged 2.5 billion reals (about$450 million) for the initiative.
- Poland recorded 1,587 new cases of coronavirus in the past 24 hours, a new record for the number of cases in a single day.
- Russia’s sovereign wealth fund (RDIF) has agreed to supply up to 35 million doses of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine to Uzbekistan. Up to 10 million doses will be delivered to Tashkent-based pharmaceutical company Laxisam in 2020. As many as 25 million doses will be shipped in 2021.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- You can download Interfor’s return to work guidelines here.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.