Interfor’s Covid-19 Updates – September 4
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 26,515,379 (6,336,000 in United States)
Total Deaths: 873,999 (191,114 in United States)
- Sanofi and Glaxo are starting early stage trials of their experimental coronavirus vaccine, backed by the US federal government’s Operation Warp Speed. The companies are recruiting 440 healthy adults at 11 trial sites to test out the vaccine in a randomized, double blind and placebo-controlled trial.
- Pfizer CEO said the clinical trial for a Covid-19 vaccine has enrolled about 23,000 participants, and some are getting the second dose of the vaccine. He added that Pfizer “should be able to have enough events to say, if the product works or not” by the end of October.
- New York City mayor said that a decision to have indoor dining in New York City will be made this month, after reporters asked him about a lawsuit filed by restaurant associations to allow limited indoor dining.
- New York Governor Cuomo said that state casinos and NYC malls can reopen next week, on the condition they have enhanced air filtration systems installed. Casinos are allowed to have a 25% max capacity, and malls are permitted 50% capacity.
- Michigan’s governor has extended the statewide State of Emergency until Oct. 1 due to a recent uptick in new covid-19 cases.
- France’s government announced a 100 billion euro ($118 billion) economic recovery plan that should generate 160,000 jobs by the end of next year. This plan is equivalent to 4% of France’s GDP and four times larger than the stimulus package put in place after the 2008 financial crisis.
- The Czech Republic has set a new daily record for the second day in a row for new coronavirus infections with 680 cases.
- Bolivia recorded its highest number of new daily Covid-19 deaths with 102 deaths. This is the first time the country had more than 100 deaths in a single day.
- New Zealand reported its first Covid-19 death in more than three months. The country will remain at alert level 2 until September 16 to reduce the risk of spread.
- Israel recorded 3,074 new cases of Covid-19, the biggest one-day spike since the pandemic began. The surge comes just two days after schools reopened, and two weeks before the high holidays.
- Russia’s Prime Minister announced the resumption of international air travel to Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, and the Maldives on a mutual basis.
- Germany is considering a reduction of its quarantine period down to 5 days from the current 14.
- Wear a mask. There is no downside and projected deaths in the United States are considerably lower if the populace wears masks, according to several studies.
- You can download Interfor’s return to work guidelines here.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information and rumors.