Interfor’s Critical Covid19 Updates – April 2, 2020
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 955,136 (215,357 in United States)
Total Deaths: 48,578 (5,113 in United States)
Total Recovered: 203,011
- The United States weekly jobless claims double to 6.6 million from last week’s number of 3.3 million.
- The European Union Commissioner announced that Italy will be the first country to receive coronavirus financial aid.
- India announces $24bn aid package to help the country’s most vulnerable populations.
- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced the closure of all NYC playgrounds saying people were violating social distancing guidelines.
- After weeks of resistance, Florida’s Governor finally issues a statewide stay-at-home order.
- New York City deploys 45 mobile morgues as coronavirus deaths overwhelm funeral homes. Central park tent hospital admits its first COVID-19 patient.
- The department of Veterans Affairs health system recorded more than 1,600 veterans who tested positive for coronavirus, with 53 deaths so far.
- Spain’s death toll tops 10,000 making it the second country in the world to reach that number after Italy, which has over 13,000 deaths.
- The head of the World Health Organization’s Europe office said that more than 95% of Europe’s dead are over 60 years old, but warns that “young people are not invincible”.
- Israel’s health minister and his wife tested positive for coronavirus, while Israel’s Prime Minister is self-isolating for a week.
- Coronavirus cases in Iran top 50,000, the nation hit the worst in the Middle east.
- Dr. Anthony Fauci to receive a security detail after receiving threats.
- US intelligence reports that China has drastically misrepresented the extent of infections and deaths within its borders. It is believed that over 40 thousand people died in Wuhan alone.
Scams related to the imminent bailout checks for individuals are already being detected in the form of fraudulent websites and phone calls. Interfor recommends companies educate their workforce on how to detect these scams so they and their loved ones can avoid further hardship.
FBI warns video conference users to watch out for “Zoom-bombing”, where hijackers disrupt sessions with profanity, hate and inappropriate content. Interfor recommends utilizing unique passwords for each session.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information (including this update). Rumors and misinformation abound, the results of which can be as dangerous as the contagion itself. Be sure to verify the sources of purported medical tips.
Outside of the spread of the virus itself, Interfor continues to monitor for evidence of systemic breakdowns which will adversely affect security and safety.
CDC Symptoms page
Recommended video on how the virus works
See Interfor’s new blog post about Cybercrime in the COVID era