Interfor’s Critical Covid19 Updates – April 7, 2020
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 1,362,016 (367,659 in United States)
Total Deaths: 76,325 (10,943 in United States)
Total Recovered: 293,655
- Some health officials now believe the virus’s incubation period may be up to a month, a span which will require quarantine measures around the world to be reassessed.
- UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson was moved to the ICU yesterday and is reportedly on “oxygen support” (not a ventilator).
- New York’s request for the USNS Comfort Navy hospital ship to treat coronavirus patients was granted. The ship was originally set up to treat non COVID-19 patients. One sailor has tested positive.
- The White House announced it has reached an agreement with 3M that will see the company supply 55 million additional N95 respirator masks to the US each month. The agreement comes just days after the Defense Production Act was invoked to force the company’s hand.
- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo extended the state’s “Pause Act” – which closes schools and non-essential businesses — until April 29th. He also wants local law enforcement to demonstrate “more aggressive” enforcement of social distancing, increasing the fine of violating state directives from $500 to $1,000.
- Italy reached another grim milestone as more than 16,000 people have now died from the coronavirus.
- France’s health minister has reported the highest 24-hour death toll in the country since the COVID-19 pandemic began with 833 deaths.
- China reported its first day with no coronavirus deaths since the outbreak began. While domestic cases are under control, China is still grappling with managing imported cases, mostly Chinese nationals returning from abroad.
- Indiana’s Governor, Eric Holcomb, extended the state’s stay-at-home order for an additional two weeks.
- The California Judicial Council voted to suspend foreclosures and evictions until after the coronavirus emergency declaration is rescinded by Governor Gavin Newsom.
- Chile has announced the mandatory use of face masks for all travelers riding public and private transportation to combat the spread of coronavirus.
- Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced a complete nationwide lockdown during the Passover holiday, prohibiting people from leaving their homes from Wednesday evening until Friday morning.
Guidance as to whether masks are effective are now being re-evaluated in favor of advocating the wearing of masks whenever outside. Interfor recommends erring on the side of caution.
Scams related to the imminent bailout checks for individuals are already being detected in the form of fraudulent websites and phone calls. Interfor recommends companies educate their workforce on how to detect these scams so they and their loved ones can avoid further hardship.
WARNING: Be sure to vet ALL information (including this update). Rumors and misinformation abound, the results of which can be as dangerous as the contagion itself. Be sure to verify the sources of purported medical tips.
Outside of the spread of the virus itself, Interfor continues to monitor for evidence of systemic breakdowns which will adversely affect security and safety.
CDC Symptoms page
Recommended video on how the virus works
See Interfor’s new blog post about Cybercrime in the COVID era