Interfor’s Weekly Security & Covid Digest – November 24, 2021
Global Security Matters
Vestas Wind Systems A/S, one of the largest wind turbine manufacturers, has shut down several of its IT systems in response to a cyber security attack. The company says it is unsure if customers will be directly impacted at the moment and is working on recovering its systems.
The US House of Representatives recently approved more than $500 million in cybersecurity funding as a part of the $2 trillion Build Back Better program. The program aims to strengthen critical infrastructure networks after repeated attacks over the Covid-19 pandemic.
Suspected North Korean hackers are accused of observing Chinese security researchers in an attempt to steal their hacking techniques. The hackers are reportedly under pressure from the North Korean regime to raise funds.
Russia conducted a strike against a Soviet-era satellite creating more than 1,500 pieces of debris, a move the US said was reckless and signaled a weaponization of space. This is the first time Russia has shown the ability to strike a satellite from a missile launched from Earth.
Total Deaths: 5,171,148 (774,580 in United States)
At least one dose administered: 54.9% Globally (United States: 69% of population)
- Death toll in 2021 higher than 2020- US COVID deaths in 2021 have surpassed last year’s death toll by more than 15,000, while there is still more than a month left in 2021.
- A Covid Thanksgiving- Fauci: “Vaccinated family members can enjoy a maskless Thanksgiving”. Meanwhile, cases tick upward nationwide, especially in the upper Midwest and Northeast. Cases are surging among children.
- Covid treatment- US government plans to purchase large supply of Pfizer’s COVID-19 treatment Plaxlovid, ahead of winter surge. Pfizer, meanwhile, asks regulators to authorize their pills and agrees to allow them to be made and sold for less in poor countries.
- Coronavirus in Europe- Cases rising across Europe, while protests break out across the continent in response to tightened COVID-19 restrictions. Complete lockdown declared in Austria.
- Russia- President Putin has tested an experimental COVID-19 nasal vaccine that is not yet in clinical trial phase, his fourth vaccination so far.
- Federal vaccine mandate- More than 90%, of the 4 million federal workers received their vaccine before the mandate kicked in on Nov 22nd.