Interfor’s Critical Covid19 Updates – March 23, 2020
Latest numbers (as of 9am est):
Total Reported Cases: 350,667 (35,070 in United States)
Total Deaths: 15,321 (458 in United States)
Total Recovered: 100,569
Noteworthy developments :
- Beginning yesterday evening, New York City moved to a shelter-in-place mandate, with non-essential business expected to implement a 100% work-from-policy.
- New York City represents 5% of global cases, due in large part to a surge in testing.
- Spain reports over 33,000 infections, with nearly 2200 fatalities.
- Iran records more than 1,400 cases in 24 hours, with 1800 total deaths.
- On Sunday, Sen. Rand Paul became the first senator known to test positive for the virus. Several other senators now forced into self-quarantine as Paul went about his regular routine in the senate, including use of the Senate gym.
- Major Indian cities begin to lockdown. Mumbai’s commuter trains have suspended operations.
- The Federal Reserve pledges to continue its asset purchasing “in the amount needed” with no limit to support markets.
- New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo calls for vehicle restrictions in Manhattan. This has yet to be implemented but plans are being drawn up.
- Coronavirus stimulus bill failed Sunday night In the senate due to disagreements over bailouts for major corporations versus aid for individuals.
- The U.S. Health and Human Services Department watchdog has issued a fraud alert for coronavirus scams such as fraudulent testing kits and treatment.
- Singapore & Etihad Airlines ground majority of their fleets. Other airlines expected to follow.
- Utah’s Rep. Ben McAdams, who tested positive for the coronavirus last week, has been hospitalized since Friday because of “severe shortness of breath”.
- Florida closes all its state parks for the foreseeable future.
- Cuban health workers arrived in Lombardy, Italy on Sunday to staff a field hospital. Lombardy is Italy’s most affected region with 27,206 cases and 3,456 deaths reported.
- Hong Kong is banning tourist arrivals as the number of coronavirus cases rises.
- Harvey Weinstein tests positive for coronavirus in prison.
- Saudi Arabia imposed a nationwide curfew between 7 pm and 6 am to stem the spread of coronavirus.
WARNING: Interfor continues to see misinformation and rumors spread around the world as clients attempt to vet information they are receiving. Be sure to vet ALL information (including this update). If you receive a text quoting a friend of a friend who works in XYZ ministry warning of imminent martial law, this is a hoax.
Outside of the spread of the virus itself, Interfor continues to monitor for evidence of systemic breakdowns which will adversely affect security and safety.
For additional resources and guidance, the Interfor team is here to help.